The Mooncup is made in the UK by a multi-award winning ethical business since 2002. The Mooncup is the original silicone menstrual cup designed by women to be a convenient, safe and eco-friendly alternative to tampons and sanitary pads. The Mooncup menstrual cup offers an end to the waste, discomfort and expense of disposable sanitary protection.
The Mooncup is made from a soft medical grade silicone. It is Latex Free and contains no:
The Mooncup is a perfect cup to start with if you are new to Menstrual cups, it is medium firmness at the rim and the body. It is simple to use and is averagely priced. Mooncup is the cup many people start out with.
The Mooncup is great for women with sensitive skin or allergies and respects your natural balance. A tampon will absorb 35% vaginal moisture, the Mooncup won't dry you out or leave any fibres behind.
The Mooncup holds 3 times more than a regular tampon, giving you longer lasting more convenient protection. As it's not absorbent it won't cause dryness on a light day.
The Mooncup is designed to last up to 10 years so you'll be saving money within a few months.
Each Mooncup set contains:
*1 Mooncup Size A or B
*Fairtrade unbleached organic cotton storage bag
*Usage instructions printed on 100% recycled paper
How do I know which size Mooncup to buy?
Size is related to age and childbearing history as these can affect pelvic floor tone. Size is not related to menstrual flow.
Size Recommended for those who are 30 and over, and all who have given birth vaginally regardless of age.
Size Recommended for those under the age of 30 who have not given birth vaginally.
The difference between the ‘A’ and the ‘B’ is only small (3mm), but it is crucial!HOW TO USE & FAQ
If you use an IUD contraception device there is further information on this on the Mooncup website here.
How should I clean my Mooncup?
It is important to always wash your hands with soap and water before and after handling your Mooncup.
To clean your Mooncup during your period:
- Wash with water, or mild, non-perfumed soap. Always rinse the Mooncup well with water after using soaps as any traces left on the Mooncup may cause irritation.
- You can use your Mooncup in public toilets! Wash your hands at the sink and take a small bottle of water into the toilet cubicle with you. Remove the Mooncup, tip the contents into the toilet bowl, rinse with a small amount of water and re-insert. If you have not got a bottle of water, then wipe the Mooncup with toilet paper and re-insert. Remember, because the Mooncup collects more menstrual blood than conventional sanitary protection, you will not have to refresh it as often as your would need to dispose of tampons or pads.
To clean your Mooncup before first use and when you wish to clean it more thoroughly you can:
- Boil it immersed in water for 5-7 minutes (in a pan put aside for this purpose)
- Use sterilising solution/tablets. These are commonly used to sterilise baby equipment. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for dilution and soak for the minimum recommended time. Then rinse thoroughly with clean water.
Cleaning your Mooncup when travelling
- When travelling ensure that you use drinking water to clean your Mooncup
Storing your Mooncup between periods
- Dry your Mooncup thoroughly and store in the breathable cotton bag provided. Do not store in a plastic bag or sealed container.
Can I clean my Mooncup in the microwave?
- No. We do not recommend that you clean your Mooncup in a microwave as doing this may damage the material.
Can I clean my Mooncup in the dishwasher?
- No. We do not recommend cleaning your Mooncup in a dishwasher, because the detergent may adversely affect the material and/or your vaginal flora.
How do I remove staining on my Mooncup?
- You can soak your Mooncup in sterilising solution/tablets, following the manufacturer’s guidelines for dilution and soaking for the minimum time. You can use sodium bicarbonate. Just use a clean damp cloth or a toothbrush with plenty of sodium bicarbonate and rub it on to the stained area. Once you have cleaned your Mooncup rinse it thoroughly with clean water.
You can be assured that the Mooncup® is manufactured in the UK to the highest quality standards – Mooncup Ltd is ISO 13485 certified . ISO 13485 is an internationally recognised standard for the design and manufacture of medical devices. Mooncup Ltd is also registered with the FDA (US Food and Drug Administration). Our FDA Facility Registration Number is 3009117944.