The Mooncup is the original silicone menstrual cup designed by women to be a convenient, safe and eco-friendly alternative to tampons and sanitary pads. Loved by women all around the world, and made in the UK by a multi-award winning ethical business, the Mooncup menstrual cup offers an end to the waste, discomfort and expense of disposable sanitary protection.
Made from soft medical grade silicone, the Mooncup is latex-free and contains no dyes, BPA, toxins or bleaches. It’s also great for women with sensitive skin.
Tampons can cause dryness and leave fibres behind. The Mooncup is designed to respect your natural balance.
On average, one woman will use over 11,000 tampons or pads in their lifetime, which will end up in landfill or in the sea.
One woman uses up to 22 items of sanitary protection every period. Regardless of your flow, you only need one Mooncup, and it lasts for years and years, making it the most economical sanitary product you can buy.
How do I know which size Mooncup to buy?
Size is related to age and childbearing history as these can affect pelvic floor tone. Size is not related to menstrual flow.
Recommended for those who are 30 and over, and all who have given birth vaginally regardless of age.
Size Recommended for those under the age of 30 who have not given birth vaginally.
The difference between the ‘A’ and the ‘B’ is only small (3mm), but it is crucial!Dimensions
If you use an IUD contraception device there is further information on this on the Mooncup website here.
How should I clean my Mooncup?
It is important to always wash your hands with soap and water before and after handling your Mooncup.
To clean your Mooncup during your period:
- Wash with water, or mild, non-perfumed soap. Always rinse the Mooncup well with water after using soaps as any traces left on the Mooncup may cause irritation.
- You can use your Mooncup in public toilets! Wash your hands at the sink and take a small bottle of water into the toilet cubicle with you. Remove the Mooncup, tip the contents into the toilet bowl, rinse with a small amount of water and re-insert. If you have not got a bottle of water, then wipe the Mooncup with toilet paper and re-insert. Remember, because the Mooncup collects more menstrual blood than conventional sanitary protection, you will not have to refresh it as often as your would need to dispose of tampons or pads.
To clean your Mooncup before first use and when you wish to clean it more thoroughly you can:
- Boil it immersed in water for 5-7 minutes (in a pan put aside for this purpose)
- Use sterilising solution/tablets. These are commonly used to sterilise baby equipment. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for dilution and soak for the minimum recommended time. Then rinse thoroughly with clean water.
Cleaning your Mooncup when travelling
- When travelling ensure that you use drinking water to clean your Mooncup
Storing your Mooncup between periods
- Dry your Mooncup thoroughly and store in the breathable cotton bag provided. Do not store in a plastic bag or sealed container.
Can I clean my Mooncup in the microwave?
- No. We do not recommend that you clean your Mooncup in a microwave as doing this may damage the material.
Can I clean my Mooncup in the dishwasher?
- No. We do not recommend cleaning your Mooncup in a dishwasher, because the detergent may adversely affect the material and/or your vaginal flora.
How do I remove staining on my Mooncup?
- You can soak your Mooncup in sterilising solution/tablets, following the manufacturer’s guidelines for dilution and soaking for the minimum time. You can use sodium bicarbonate. Just use a clean damp cloth or a toothbrush with plenty of sodium bicarbonate and rub it on to the stained area. Once you have cleaned your Mooncup rinse it thoroughly with clean water.